by Lauren Gunderson
Directed by Bridget Leak
May 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 14, 15, 16 – 2020
(All performances at 8:00 PM)
The true story of 19th-century astronomer Henrietta Leavitt explores a woman’s place in society during a time of immense scientific discoveries, when women’s ideas were dismissed until men claimed credit for them. Social progress, like scientific progress, can be hard to see when one is trapped among earthly complications; Henrietta Leavitt and her female peers believe in both, and their dedication changed the way we understand both the heavens and Earth.
- Audition Dates: October 1 & 2, 2019
- Audition Times: 7:00 – 9:00 PM
- Audition Location: Falcon Theatre, 636 Monmouth Street, Newport, KY
- Audition Requirements:
- Prepare 1 monologue of no more than 2 minutes preferably in the style of the character you’re most interested in.
- Bring a headshot and resume (please do not staple them together)
- Henrietta Leavitt – 30s, brilliant, meticulous, excited. Almost always wearing a hearing aid.
- Margaret Leavitt – 30s, homebody, creative, sweet, sister. Margaret does play the piano and sing. Please be prepared to do one or both at auditions if asked.
- Peter Shaw – 30s, the head astronomer’s apprentice … and the man.
- Annie Cannon – 40s, the leader, terse and sure, grows into a firebrand.
- Willamina Flemming – 50s, smart as a whip and fun. Scottish (be prepared to do a Scottish accent).
- Contact the director, Bridget Leak, with questions or for more information about auditions: Email Bridget